Lead Service Lateral

Lead Service Lateral Replacement Program

Sun Prairie Utilities has received funding from the Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources to cover 100% of property owners’ costs for the replacement of lead and galvanized service laterals in the City of Sun Prairie during 2022. Residents with lead or galvanized service laterals should take this opportunity to eliminate lead contamination at no cost to themselves. Help Sun Prairie be Lead-Free by 2023!

How do I know if I have a lead lateral?

As outlined in the Lead Services Lateral Replacement Program (2020,) Sun Prairie Utilities inspected properties to visually verify the lateral connection in homes built before 1940 (most often when replacing water meters.) Properties where lead laterals were found, were notified and given information on replacement and participation in financing programs. 

Where in Sun Prairie are the lead laterals being replaced?

Approximately 100 residences in Sun Prairie have been identified as having lead laterals or galvanized pipes with lead connections still as of January 2022. 

How do I schedule a lead lateral replacement service?

SPU is working closely with property owners to schedule replacements during 2022 while funding is in place to cover 100% of the property owners’ costs. Help Sun Prairie be Lead-Free by 2023!

Homeowners should have received a letter identifying their property as having lead laterals or galvanized lateral pipes with possible lead soldering. For these properties grant assistance is available to property owners for lateral replacement in 2022. To receive this grant property owners must complete the following steps:

  • Utilize contractors from the SPU Approved List of Contractors
  • Request at least two (2) written bids for the replacement project.
  • Send or email Sun Prairie Utilities the following information before work begins:

- Your contact information (name, address, email, and phone number.)
- Copies of the two written bids.

  • Sun Prairie Utilities will pay 50% of the project fees to the contractor.
  • Then contractors will reach out to schedule replacement with the property owner.
  • Complete work prior to November 1, 2022.
  • Once the work is completed SPU will pay the remaining balance to the contractor.
Where can I get more information?

Email pblaterals@myspu.org or call (608) 837-3500 if you need assistance.

What paperwork do I need to submit to have my replacement costs covered?

Additional Information:

WI DNR brochures: Lead in Drinking Water, Copper in Drinking Water