One of the most important steps to a successful solar energy system is finding the right contractor you can trust to do the job right. Here are some helpful resources and tips to point you in the right direction for selecting your contractor.
Check contractor recommendations online
Finding a good contractor requires references. As a starting point, you can go to a number of websites for help:
- Solar Energy Industries Association provides information on Wisconsin solar installers, contractors and retailers.
- RENEW Wisconsin, a renewable energy advocacy group, offers a map of Wisconsin solar installers to help find quality companies nearby.
- Focus on Energy's Find a Trade Ally tool lets you search for qualified contractors based on service and location.
- The Better Business Bureau lets you research companies to see if they are the subject of complaints filed with the BBB.
- HomeAdvisor.com lets you gather price quotes from service companies that work with HomeAdvisor.
Tips for hiring a contractor
- Hire only a WI state-licensed contractor with a valid license. Consider installers with North American Board of Certified Energy Practitioners (NABCEP) certification.
- Research current solar panel costs in Wisconsin.
- Get at least three bids or quotes.
- Get at least three references from each bidder and be sure to call or visit each reference.
- Confirm the contractor carries worker's compensation and liability insurance policies.
- Verify that the contractor understands Sun Prairie Utility's electrical distribution system interconnection requirements.
- Get all project expectations in writing including the solar system’s expected annual output.
- Ensure that the contractor obtains a local building permit.
- Make sure Sun Prairie Utilities approves the solar PV system for interconnection to our electrical distribution system before you sign off on the project.
Please note that Sun Prairie Utilities does not endorse any contractors or warrant any workmanship, installation, labor, cost or materials of any contractor. Sun Prairie Utilities also does not work directly with any solar contractors. If you have questions, please contact us at (608) 837-5500 or firstname.lastname@example.org.